Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving is just one day! What about the other 364 days of the year?

I have spent the past 2 weeks trying to come up with some brilliant entry for my next blog.  There is a lot of pressure in this.  :)  I will put this disclaimer out there for whomever is reading this blog.  I cannot guarantee that each entry will inspire you to change the world, however what I can promise is that each entry will be heartfelt and encouraging so here goes! 

Thanksgiving Day is that one day where everyone sits back and reflects on the things they are thankful for, right?  This is really good and important, however what about the other 364 days out of the year?  Shouldn't we be reflecting on what we are thankful for daily?  Anyway, I really don't want to give the cliche list of all the things I am thankful for just because it is that one day out of the year that I am supposed to come up with the list.  I can honestly say that I think and pray about those things I am thankful for everyday.  I live a blessed life with so much to be thankful for that simply reflecting on those things one day out of the year just isn't sufficient.  HOWEVER,  in honor of this holiday I would like to write on those things I am thankful for with regard to my job.  Considering that this blog is really not about me, but rather the teen families I have the privilege of knowing I would like to jot down a few of those things I am thankful for with regard to them.
  • I am thankful to know several young moms who are determined to further their education simply because they want to be able to provide for their children.
  • I am thankful that not all teenagers are self-indulged, spoiled, and present minded.
  • I am thankful for the young dads in my program.  They have a desire and passion to be the best fathers they can be.  Awesome sauce! (J.Skogerboe. Facebook, 2010)
  • I am thankful for a young mom who is so determined to get her education that she walks across the desert pushing her daughter in a stroller to Headstart childcare everyday.  She acknowledges the importance of her child being in a positive learning environment while she is in school earning her diploma.  More on this young lady in my next entry.  
  • I am thankful for a young father who shared that he is learning from me.  He said he doesn't party with his friends anymore because he values his time with his family more. This young father is putting his family's needs and desires before his own.  Love it!
  • I am thankful for those moms and dads who bring their babies to school everyday so they can earn their high school diploma.  They are faced with the challenge of not having childcare, however they don't give up!  They are determined to continue their education regardless of the challenges they face. 
  • I am so thankful for the many babies I get to love on and see grow!  The Lord has surrounded me with so many babies and it is such a joy!  A true desire of my heart! 
The young parents that I spend my weekdays with are overcomers.  They are maturing in ways they didn't expect, but most of all they are embracing the challenges in their lives with hope and perseverance.  I never hear them complain or say they want to just give up.  I wonder if they ever feel that way?  They are working toward a successful future and the love they have for their children is what drives them and gives them passion to be the best parents they can be.  I am proud of them and hope to continue to be a light of encouragement in their lives.  These are the things I am thankful for.


4 comments:

Amber said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all those families, Heidi! I am super grateful for all that I have. WIth my own almost 3-month-old at age 31, I just cannot imagine how difficult it would be to do this as a teenager. I admire their dedication, and am glad to know that they have you as an advocate, teacher and supporter!

HWCinPhoenix said...

Great stuff, Heidi! This is wonderful that you are telling this. Keep up the wonderful work! I can tell you love it....and those teens are so lucky to have you!

Heidi said...

Thank you Amber and Hilary!

Anonymous said...

lets see if I can post a comment successfully...these pictures are just beautiful...God places us where He knows we can do great work. Heidi you have become a "gardner", planting seeds each day. Enjoy watching them grow, these young people are truely a blessing in your life....Mom